Each year, the Gamers host 3-4 invitational tournaments for 17u teams at locations like Mizzou, Arkansas State, Memphis University, SLU and Lindenwood. These are elite tournaments, usually just 6 teams with every game played at the college field and attended by a significant number of college coaches.
Running tournaments in select level youth baseball is a challenging business in its own right, and is not a good fit with our overall program mission. Sure, we could make some money doing it. But, our mission is not about making money. Instead, we strive to work with tournament operators across the country to help us achieve our goals.
- Good competition
- Good fields, worthy of the hard work that our players put into playing
- Well-organized events, planned in advance and with good and timely communication
- A commitment to playing games and overcoming weather problems (this means investment in field crews and turface)
- Space to hold our pre-game practices/warm-ups
- Reasonable time limits, where you play to 7 innings 80% of the time
- Good umpires, appropriate for the level of competition, that want to be there
At the national level, Perfect Game and USA Baseball deliver events that meet these requirements. Regionally, Pastime Tournaments is doing a good job. Locally, Greater Midwest Baseball is working hard to deliver good events. There are others in the mix too.
We look forward to the day when our families spend a lot less money on travel.